Candidates for the Mr. Gay New Zealand competition are chosen for attributes that include Leadership, Relatability, Communication, and their ability to Engage with the wider LGBTI community.
The Mr. Gay New Zealand competition is broken up into five main Categories:
- Engagement – Candidates are assessed on their ability to engage with the wider LGBTI community.
- Community out-reach – Candidates are assessed on their work conducted throughout the community.
- Public speaking – Candidates are assessed on their ability to articulate a message in a public forum.
- Natural Leadership Ability – Candidates should possess a Natural Leadership ability that can be built on and developed to give back to the community.
- Mana – The Mana of a candidate is assessed ensuring the future Mr. Gay New Zealand will have a positive persona to become a role model and leader that the community can be proud of.
Please note: Mr. Gay New Zealand is not a beauty contest. A candidate’s physical appearance is not assessed at any stage of the competition and does not form part of the judging criteria.